Frequently Asked Questions

The funeral industry still has a reputation for still being a little macabre. Naturally, this leads to a lot of confusion and common misconceptions. At Parkside Funerals, we are committed to staying fully transparent with our families.

We have consolidated some frequently asked questions below to assist in removing the veil.
What do I do when someone dies?
Contact the person’s doctor, community nursing or Palliative Care team. A doctor must certify that death has occurred. Normally funeral arrangements cannot be completed until care staff have signed a Declaration of Life Extinct, or the doctor has signed and issued a Medical Cause of Death Certificate. In certain instances it may not be legally possible for the doctor to issue a Death Certificate and there is necessity for police and coronial involvement.
When does the Coroner become involved?
If the doctor is unable to certify the cause of death it is necessary to contact the police, who then will liaise with coronial staff. This will be necessary in such instances as:
Coronial staff will transfer the deceased person to the Coroner.

A post mortem examination, also known as an autopsy, is a detailed examination externally, and of internal organs, to establish the cause of death. This examination is conducted by a doctor known as a pathologist. Once we have been notified of their death, we will then liaise with coronial staff regarding release of the deceased person into our care.
What clothing should I choose for my loved one?
This decision can be made based on many factors. Did they have a favourite outfit? What would they have been comfortable in? Do you need underwear or shoes? While this is ultimately a personal decision, our funeral directors can help guide you. However, we prefer to fully dress the deceased person in our care.
What is the difference between a coffin and casket?
The difference between coffins and caskets is essentially one of design. Coffins are tapered at the head and foot and wide at the shoulders. Caskets are rectangular in shape and are usually constructed of high-quality timbers and feature a high standard of craftsmanship.

The decision to select a coffin or casket is made by the family of the deceased according to their personal/financial preferences.
What happens to the coffin/casket when cremated?
At Parkside, the hardware is removed from the coffin or casket and responsibly disposed of prior to a cremation. The nameplate from the coffin or casket is also removed. This stays with the remains to ensure correct identification whilst at the crematorium. The coffin and its contents are then cremated entirely.
What happens with jewellery?
It is the decision of the Next of Kin whether jewellery is removed as a keepsake or left with their loved one. If cremation is chosen, the jewellery is respectfully removed prior to cremation and later placed inside the container with the cremated remains.
How soon after cremation are the ashes available?
Ashes are usually available within 3 days of the cremation taking place. However, special arrangements can be made if necessary.
Should children attend funerals?
Children can gain comfort from taking part in the family’s mourning, knowing that they are included in the event and not left out because they are ‘too young to understand’. Children can often contribute creatively to a funeral, perhaps by placing a special flower on the coffin or casket, or reading or writing something that can be incorporated into the service. They can offer great comfort to the adults around them, just by being there.
When is the Registered Record of Death
Certificate issued?
It may take up to three weeks for the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages to process the information and issue a Record of Death Certificate. In some cases, such as coronial inquiries, it can take longer. A certificate is not automatically issued, and can applied for directly with Service Tasmania. If required, a ‘Priority Certificate’ can be requested from Service Tasmania, which will incur a charge, but means that the certificate will be provided within 24 hours.
Is money ‘frozen’ following someone’s death?

Bank accounts in joint names should not be affected by the death of one of the owners. Accounts held solely by the deceased may still be able to be accessed, and presentation of a funeral account is often all that is required to release funeral funds to pay for the funeral out of the deceased person’s estate.
If you have any further questions, we welcome them. Please email us at and we will do our best to answer them.
Helpful Links
StandBy is a Suicide Bereavement Response Service that provides a 24-hour coordinated community crisis response to families, friends and associates who have been bereaved through suicide. StandBy respects, understands and supports the health and well-being of people bereaved by suicide. Our service is available for you regardless of where or when your loss occurred free of charge.

You can call us anytime on 0439 556 660.
Lifeline in Tasmania has been helping the local community for almost 40 years. We have a range of programs and services to help you get through the tough times, and celebrate the good ones.Our telephone crisis support service is available for anyone experiencing a personal crisis or is thinking about suicide . Friends and family who are concerned for a loved one can also use this service. Referrals can be made to other services for ongoing support.

If you need someone to talk to:
Please call our telephone crisis supporters 24/7 on 13 11 14;
The service is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year for the cost of a local call or free from your mobile.
Palliative care is specialised care and support provided for someone living with a terminal condition, as well as care and support for family members and carers. This is provided in a sensitive way, taking into account individual and family uniqueness, cultural and spiritual beliefs and lifestyle patterns. offers a support system to help patients live as actively as possible until death as well as offering a support system to help family and friends cope during the patient’s illness and their bereavement.

If you would like more information please call us on 6285 2514 To influence, foster and promote the delivery of quality care at the end of life for all.
When words are not enough a beautiful floral tribute is a wonderful and much appreciated was to express your feelings. A beautiful symbol of life, Flowers lift the spirits and offer comfort to the family and friends.The Bouquet Florist can offer traditional or modern designs, including funeral sheafs, bouquets, wreaths, crosses, hearts and casket sprays. We can also do special request designs. we have worked closely with Parkside Funerals for the past 15 supplying all there floral needs and are happy to deliver your tribute to there door.

Please call us on 6431 9499.
The Public Trustee is an independent, impartial, professional organisation. Our core business is Estate and Trust administration and we can offer you, and your beneficiaries, a number of distinct advantages.

RELIABILITY – We have been in Tasmania for all Tasmanians since 1853 and we will be here for you – whenever you need us.

UNDERSTANDING – Our staff are familiar with the natural confusion and grief that follows death and we will help those left behind with understanding and compassion and provide them with peace of mind.

EXPERTISE – The Public Trustee has experienced professional staff, including solicitors, accountants, and numerous members of the Executor and Trustee Institute – they are all specialists. This expertise ensures the Public Trustee makes independent and impartial decisions on your behalf.

Please call on 1800 068 784 to make an appointment.
SIDS and Kids Tasmania is a community-based organisation, with two main objectives, firstly, to provide funds for research into sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) and to support Tasmanian families. SIDS and Kids has a number of staff members based in its State Office in Burnie. We rely heavily on volunteers, professionals and community assistance to fundraise, provide support, and assist with the running of the office as we do not receive any State Government funding to support our education and support services which we provided free of charge to the Tasmanian Community.

Please visit our website at http://www.sidsandkids.org/offices/tasmania/ where we run a free internet message board for bereaved parents to chat, discuss particular issues and provide and receive support from other parents and counsellors from SIDS and Kids or call us on 6431 9488.
Cancer Council Tasmania is a not-for-profit organisation that works to minimise the incidence and impact of cancer on all Tasmanians through advocacy, raising awareness of cancer prevention and offering advice and support for those living with cancer and their carers.The Cancer Council Helpline is a free confidential telephone and support service run by Cancer Council Tasmania. Specially trained staff can answer questions about all aspects of cancer, including prevention, early detection and treatment. They can also assist with practical and emotional support, and advise callers about specific services appropriate to their needs and location.

Where appropriate, callers can be linked to their local Cancer Support Centre or, where necessary, to a nurse counsellor for more specialist support.Information on all aspects of cancer can also be mailed to Cancer Council Helpline callers. Call the Cancer Council Helpline on 13 11 20 between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday or email helpline@cancertas.org.au.
Price List Document